Sunday, September 26, 2004

Putin the new Lincoln?

This week I happened across a blog from Central Asia via the Carnival of the Vanities that has an alternate view of Putin's recent "power grab".

Now, I would be lying if I said that I knew much more about Russia other than the fact that it produces some good vodka, but I do know a little more about good old honest Abe.

The American Civil War had very much to do about the consolidation of power to the federal government at the expense of power attributed to the states. It would be very easy to say that Lincoln was involved in a little power grab of his own during the war.

Are we worse off for it in the US? Some could argue so, but without the strong federal government, I believe we wouldn't have become the world super power we are today.

Maybe we should give Putin the benefit of the doubt.

Who knows, perhaps he could be the new Lincoln.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home