Sunday, September 26, 2004

Iraq "turning around"?

While most reporters in Iraq are reporting from secure areas because of the obvious dangers, there are others who venture into the "war zone".

What does one soldier have to say?

UPDATE: In a Washington Post article, Lt. General David H. Petraeus offers "reasons for optimism".

MORE UPDATE: We also get word from an Illinoisian in Iraq.

The Iraqis that we work with are very happy that we are here. It is a strange feeling, but they idolize us. We have heard many times that they are glad we are here to share our experience and training as we are the best in the world. I can't quite say it the way they do.

They are a very friendly people. They are not what everyone back home sees on TV. We have become great friends with many of them. It will be a sad day when we have to leave them. Many of us have told them that they are welcome to visit us if they are ever in the United States. One of my sergeants has invited a Kurdish major to go fishing with him back in Wisconsin. They talk of it often. I hope it happens some day.

If you could tell the folks at home one thing, what would it be? I guess I would just say to give these people a chance. They are good, smart people. They are very caring and strong people. They look forward to the future of Iraq, and with our help, they think they will one day be a world leader in technology, thinkers, produce, etc. They have hopes just as we do in America, and now that Saddam is gone, they believe they will some day see them come true.

MORE MORE UPDATE: Chrenkoff posts an exhaustive update of the good news from Iraq.

UPDATE 4: Sgt. Elizabeth offers her perspective of the war.

Heck are we winning or losing? Over all, I would say winning. Not all of Iraq is a bad place, not all Iraqi's are insurgents. Those are a minority, a very small minority although I know it does not seem as such. I have heard time and time again from the Iraqi people I do come into contact with that they are glad we are here, that things are getting better. Things just take time and patience.

Is it as rosy and Bush paints it? No, this place isn't rosy, but it certainly isn't a blistering firepit of hell either.

Is it as nasty as I think it it? No, not at all.

Do the Iraqis see the US as Occupier's or Liberators? Most, Liberators.


7 Comments:

At May 23, 2013 at 2:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lіke the νaluablе info you provide in your aгticles.
I will boοkmark your blog and check
again here regularly. I'm quite certain I will learn a lot of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

Feel free to visit my weblog Http://Www.Amazon.Com/

 
At June 4, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day very cool blog!! Man .. Excellent .. Wonderful ..
I'll bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally? I am happy to find so many helpful info here within the submit, we'd like work out more techniques
in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

Feel free to surf to my weblog; chapleygardens.net

 
At June 4, 2013 at 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually do not leave many responses, but after reading through some of the comments here "Iraq "turning
around"?". I do have a couple of questions for you
if you don't mind. Is it only me or do some of these responses appear like they are written by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are writing on additional online social sites, I'd like to keep up
with you. Would you list of the complete urls of all your social networking pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or
twitter feed?

Look into my webpage: http://tradewindsimages.net/

 
At June 8, 2013 at 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think everything wrote was very reasonable.
However, think on this, suppose you added a little content?
I mean, I don't want to tell you how to run your blog, but what if you added a title to maybe get a person's attention?
I mean "Iraq "turning around"?" is a little vanilla. You ought to look at Yahoo's front page and note how they write news titles to get people to click. You might add a related video or a picture or two to grab people excited about what you've written.
In my opinion, it might make your website a little livelier.


my web site: http://www.Tunaclassified.in/

 
At June 9, 2013 at 2:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always emailed this website post page to all
my contacts, as if like to read it next my friends will too.


Also visit my web site - video marketing

 
At June 9, 2013 at 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular post!
It's the little changes which will make the most important changes. Many thanks for sharing!

my weblog: teeth whitening systems

 
At June 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right now it looks like BlogEngine is the preferred blogging platform available right now.
(from what I've read) Is that what you're using on your blog?


my webpage; Cosmetic Dentist Glasgow

 

Post a Comment

<< Home