Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Post vacation blogging

Actually, I got back last Saturday, but I only blog from work (strict rule of mine), so Monday is the official day back.  BUT, with being gone for two weeks, it's taken me a couple of days to find my way to the top of my desk.

Anyway...

Have you ever noticed that when you go away for a long time that things seem to go ok without you?  I mean, the house didn't burn down, the dogs didn't die.  One of our snails did, but he was pretty old in snail years.

Did I tell you about the time that I left for a week and left the iron on the whole time?  It wasn't one of those turn-itself-off-because-you're-too-stupid-to-remember kind of irons.  I spent  a whole week in Omaha Nebraska taking classes while it waited patiently for me to come home and finish ironing my shirts.

We had a good time.  (the kids and I, not me and the iron)  We did something we don't ordinarily do... horseback riding.  It was all fun and games until the kids said they wanted to trot.  That's when I learned why cowboys wear tight jeans...

It was also a good chance to stop and take stock of my life.  I was asked the question where do I see myself in 5 years.  I didn't really have a good answer.  I used to do that all the time, set goals and work towards them, but the last 5-8 years have just been about surviving, getting past the day/week/month.  It is sooooo easy for time to slip by.

I also took advantage of the time to quit smoking.  Again.  I've quit before cold turkey and I know if I can get through the first two weeks, then I'm practically home free.  It was easy(er) not to smoke while I was out of my routine.  Give my body a chance to get over the nicotine cravings and now that I am back into my routine, it's easier to not smoke because the cravings aren't so bad.  Today is day 15.

Yeah... it was a good vacation...

3 Comments:

At July 28, 2004 at 6:39 PM, Blogger Nai said...

Welcome back!

As someone who worries about the house being gone while I am away (I think this comes as having our house robbed when I was a kid). The iron story eases my neuroses. If an old iron without safety features doesn't burn your house down, then I should be safe! Thanks for that!

 
At July 29, 2004 at 6:48 AM, Blogger Esther said...

welcome back!
There's a trick to sitting on a horse while it's trotting, canter is faster but easier to sit. Could you walk the next day? :)

It's always such a let down when I come back and my dogs have actually picked up weight. Although last time I came back, and there were one less dog. My brother didn't want to tell me while I was away that my one dog had died.

 
At July 29, 2004 at 1:05 PM, Blogger BG said...

Glad I could be of service Ian. ;-)

I think my problem with the horse is that my stirrups were to low. We did get into a couple of cantors, but then I just felt like I was getting thrown off the horse. That is... until I wraped my legs around this mighty beast.... shudderI was walking a little funny after that...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home