Thursday, July 01, 2004

Are you who you say you are?

Are you?

Blogging is an interesting medium. In essence, you, or I could be anybody we wanted to be.

If I wanted to be a teenybopper, I could be that. If I wanted to be a woman, I could be that. I suppose you could be anybody you wanted to be.

I follow the Bill Clinton blog precisely because I know it isn't Bill. I know its not him because he wouldn't be stupid enough to write the things that have been written. But then again...

Naw, I know it isn't him. But it's fun to read, because someone is out there spending hours a day following Bill and what he does and then "novelizing" it all to make a few bucks commission on book sales. It was even more fun when he/she had the comments section open and you could read all the people who were being duped.

Actually... it was this post that got me hooked. Bill announces that he 'made love'. But then had to qualify that it was with Hillary. (just in case we weren't sure) I still get a smile from that one.

Are there others that are faked?

There's a blog that I read on a fairly regular basis whom I suspect is keeping a second blog going under a different name. Why? I'm not quite sure yet.

I do the same thing... sorta... I have a public persona blog, whereas this is my private persona blog. I'm not "hiding" per se, but my other blog has to do with work and I really don't want the people I work with to stumble onto this part of my brain. My other blog is mundane... interesting only to those who are on the geeky side. (and even then its not that interesting)

Are you a faker?

Is your blog personality different than your 'normal' personality. Somehow I suspect Grumpy isn't so grumpy. Are there others? Hmmm... I wonder.

Is that your real name?

I knew Katherine's name before she was outed. No, I'm not a stalker... just observant. Ian, I'm pretty sure is real. Of course, that's what he says he is.

Me... yes, my name is Big Guy... just look it up in the telephone book.



If you believe that, I've got some books you might be interested in...

7 Comments:

At July 1, 2004 at 5:40 PM, Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

But do you know who I am?

 
At July 1, 2004 at 6:22 PM, Blogger BG said...

Why... you're Tuesday, of course...

 
At July 1, 2004 at 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use two blogs, but don't feel like I am hiding. Just that there are two parts of me and together they make a whole. Perhaps one day I can merge the two, but the first is much older than the second, and people have learned to expect certain things from me, the way i write, what I write about. i can't add the new stuff there, it would be too difficult to retrain everyone how to know me. However, each blog is an accurate picture of that part of me. If that makes any sense.

 
At July 2, 2004 at 6:07 AM, Blogger Esther said...

Interesting point. What is real and what not? Does having to watch what you write negate the usefullness of having a blog?
I suppose each of us get something from blogging and reading others blogs.
As with any 2 dimensional world (iow writing) everything needs to be taken with a pinch of salt and a gallon size sense of humour :)

 
At July 2, 2004 at 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does negate the point for me to a certain extent, but not wholly. Each of the two blogs have certain restrictions that are self imposed. In one I discuss family life, in the other I just mention it occasionally because I discuss my sex life in it and the type of people who read it don't need to be thinking about my children while reading about my sex life. Not the regular readers who know the person, but the fly by nights that just read about the sex. I hate that I have to self censor myself in the first blog, so I started the second. anyone with two eyes to read with can tell that it is one in the same person though. If that makes sense. I just don't advertise that there are two blogs on different subjects. I think it might not be long before the two become one though in a whole new blog. I didn't post with a link to my blog because I don't know which one to post.

 
At July 2, 2004 at 8:16 PM, Blogger Nai said...

Here is my story....

I created my blog to give me a forum to do some creative, autobiographical writing. I really try to keep it light. If I write about anyone, they will have ok'd it first and know that I am putting it out there. I really try not to put anything that is not in the best humor out there, and except for a couple of comments on current events, I have stayed faithful for the month I have written.

I used to keep a private online journal to write about things personal to me. It turned out to be very raw and dark. I could only do this under anonymity because that is the only way I could write freely, without worrying about insulting, friends, family, coworkers, etc. It also kept people whom I didn't want to share such intimate details with in the dark. I'll be honest, this was very helpful in being able to keep things in perspective, but not nearly as invigorating as the sensation that I get when I hit the publish button and know that anyone I know and (according to my counter) hundreds I don't are reading my work.

My only problem now is, since I want every post to be informative or entertaining, I average two posts a week. I think if it were anonymous, I would be more prone to hit the publish button more often.

And those are my thoughts...

Ian

 
At July 2, 2004 at 11:35 PM, Blogger mona said...

i try like hell to throw it straight out- from the heart or the gut or the liver, wherever some version of truth is formed.

and then not worry too much about how it will be received.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home