Friday, June 18, 2004

For my father

My dad is a great dad.

He's not rich. He's not famous. He's not acutely handsome. In fact, if you were to meet him on the street, there really isn't anything about him that would distinguish him from anybody else.

My dad is great because he taught me that the question to answer as a parent, isn't "Would you die for your children?". The hard question you must answer as a parent is "Would you live for your children?".

Not the mamby pamby let your kids dominate every aspect of your life kind of way. But in the "I'm responsible for human beings who depend on me" kind of way.

It's not something he ever told me. It's not something we discussed.

It's something he lived.

It was in how he taught me how to whittle a stick without cutting my finger off. Coming to every game of our losing basketball season. Teaching me it's ok to pee outside when nobody else is around. Being there when I need him, listening even when he didn't know the answers. Playing catch with me. Working through vacations so that we could have them. Being involved in the community giving me reason to be proud. Proud to say that he's my dad.

My dad isn't perfect, but he tried his best.

My dad lived for his children.

Just your average, ordinary, everyday, kind of hero.

5 Comments:

At June 18, 2004 at 5:30 PM, Blogger Oddsfish said...

I love your last line. There are so many of those "everyday heroes" out there!

 
At June 18, 2004 at 7:27 PM, Blogger Johnny said...

Amen!

 
At June 21, 2004 at 3:59 PM, Blogger BG said...

Oddfish, I'm sorry to see your blog is gone. Hope you come back with another...

 
At March 2, 2007 at 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! effexor makes me sick Federal consolidation loans student118 Infiniti fx curb weight http://www.fishing-ontario-canada-5.info/tennis-elbow-treatments.html removing student loans consolidation3021 Fischer dishwasher Salem or nissan crew 4x4

 
At March 16, 2007 at 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home